How Anthony Vanden Borre went from being the future of Belgian football to playing in DR Congo


The 29-year-old, who made his Anderlecht debut aged 16, fell out of love with the European game and moved to TP Mazembe this month. ‘I am simple and honest, but the football world is hard,’ he says

Anthony Vanden Borre has never been your average footballer. “I am a simple and honest boy but the football world is hard,” the former Belgium international said last week. “Money is the most important thing and that is a shame. I do not trust many people. That’s certainly the case with journalists and managers. A lot of people judge me without really knowing me.”

Less than two months after he announced his retirement at the age of 29 citing “a lack of motivation”, 30,000 supporters thronged the streets of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s second largest city Lubumbashi last Wednesday to catch a glimpse of TP Mazembe’s new signing. Sporting the club’s black and white striped shirt and standing on the passenger seat of a car with his head poking through the sunroof, Vanden Borre could not wipe the smile off his face as he filmed the chaotic scenes with his smartphone. A fleet of 4×4 vehicles then whisked his entourage to the club’s stadium and then to the nearby estate belonging to Mazembe’s owner and DR Congo presidential challenger Moïse Katumbi, which will be Vanden Borre’s home during his stay in the country.

Continue reading…
Source: Football News
Link : How Anthony Vanden Borre went from being the future of Belgian football to playing in DR Congo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *