- FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ qualifying resumes today
- Europe’s campaign begins with holders France among those involved
- Focus moves to the Concacaf region later in the day
The road to Qatar 2022 begins for teams in the UEFA and Concacaf zones today, with 17 FIFA World Cup™ qualifiers set to take place over the course of the day.
Reigning champions France, Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal, Erling Haaland’s Norway and a resurgent Netherlands side are among the teams in action in Europe before the spotlight is thrown on some of the lower-ranked nations in the Concacaf region.
UEFA (All fixtures)
- Hosts Turkey, very much against the run of play, took a 15th-minute lead when Burak Yilmaz’s toe-poke flashed past Tim Krul via a cruel deflection off Mathijs de Ligt.
- The Netherlands pushed hard for an equaliser but were once again caught out on the break, with Yilmaz doubling his tally from the penalty spot, wrong-footing Krul after Donyell Malen had been penalised for a clumsy late challenge.
- Hakan Calhanoglu stunned Frank de Boer’s team with a third within seconds of the restart, firing a low 25-yard shot beyond the flat-footed Krul.
- Just as the Dutch appeared to be running out of ideas, substitute Davy Klaasen pulls a goal back with a superb turn and finish.
- From the sublime to the scrappy: the Netherlands scored again within seconds as another substitute, Luuk de Jong, scrambled the ball home from close range.
- Yilmaz completed his first international hat-trick – and settled Turkish nerves – with a glorious free-kick, whipped into the top-right corner from 20 yards.
- A night to forget for the Netherlands was completed in injury time when Memphis Depay saw his powerfully struck penalty brilliantly saved by Ugurcan Cakir.